Whitney Houston, Dr. Dre And More Inducted Into The National Recording Registry
New artists have been inducted into the National Recording Registry this week. Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Fred Rogers, and Dr. Dre a re on the list! Find out more about it here...
25 new titles were inducted into the National Recording Registry, in order to be preserved for their historical, cultural, and aesthetic importance to the nation.
Fred Rogers, Whitney Houston and Dr. Dre, are on the list of now 550 works, which has been described as an amazing way of reflecting "moments in history captured though the voices and sounds of the time."
Tina Turner and Village People were also inducted into the National Recording Registry
The list includes Fred Rogers' 1973 album featuring 21 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood songs, as well as Whitney Houston's classic song "I Will Always Love You," and Dr. Dre's album The Chronic.
Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" was also inducted into the National Recording Registry, as well as Village People's legendary song "Y.M.C.A.", and Selena's Ven Conmigo album!
See the full list of the 2020 inductees here:
- “Whispering” (single), Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra (1920)
- “Protesta per Sacco e Vanzetti,” Compagnia Columbia; “Sacco e Vanzetti,” Raoul Romito (1927)
- “La Chicharronera” (single), Narciso Martinez and Santiago Almeida (1936)
- “Arch Oboler’s Plays” episode “The Bathysphere.” (Nov. 18, 1939)
- “Me and My Chauffeur Blues” (single), Memphis Minnie (1941)
- The 1951 National League tiebreaker: New York Giants vs. Brooklyn Dodgers — Russ Hodges, announcer (Oct. 3, 1951)
- Puccini’s Tosca (album), Maria Callas, Giuseppe di Stefano, Angelo Mercuriali, Tito Gobbi, Melchiorre Luise, Dario Caselli, Victor de Sabata (1953)
- “Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh” (single), Allan Sherman (1963)
- WGBH broadcast of the Boston Symphony on the day of the John F. Kennedy assassination, Boston Symphony Orchestra (1963)
- Fiddler on the Roof (album), original Broadway cast (1964)
- “Make the World Go Away” (single), Eddy Arnold (1965)
- Hiromi Lorraine Sakata Collection of Afghan Traditional Music (1966-67; 1971-73)
- “Wichita Lineman” (single), Glen Campbell (1968)
- Dusty in Memphis (album), Dusty Springfield (1969)
- Mister Rogers Sings 21 Favorite Songs From Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood (album), Fred Rogers (1973)
- Cheap Trick at Budokan (album), Cheap Trick (1978)
- Holst: Suite No. 1 in E-Flat, "Suite No. 2 in F" / Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks / Bach: Fantasia in G (Special Edition Audiophile Pressing album), Frederick Fennell and the Cleveland Symphonic Winds (1978)
- “Y.M.C.A.” (single), Village People (1978)
- A Feather on the Breath of God (album), Gothic Voices; Christopher Page, conductor; Hildegard von Bingen, composer (1982)
- Private Dancer (album), Tina Turner (1984)
- Ven Conmigo (album), Selena (1990)
- The Chronic (album), Dr. Dre (1992)
- “I Will Always Love You” (single), Whitney Houston (1992)
- Concert in the Garden (album), Maria Schneider Orchestra (2004)
- Percussion Concerto (album), Colin Currie (2008)